Siemens Energy, one of the world’s leading wind turbine makers, is in talks with the German government to secure a multibillion-euro bailout. The company’s shares have plummeted by almost 40% due to escalating challenges in its wind turbine division, including technical problems and higher costs. A bailout could involve the German state taking responsibility for 80% of an initial €10bn funding tranche, while banks would cover the remaining 20%. Siemens Energy’s parent company, Siemens, has also been asked to guarantee a second tranche of €5bn. The company expects to report a €4.5bn loss this year and is concerned about securing guarantees from its usual banking partners. The wind power industry as a whole has been impacted by rising manufacturing costs, driven by higher energy costs.